EMMANUEL SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTISTS
CHURCH & SCHOOL HISTORY
CHURCH & SCHOOL HISTORY
The roots of Adventism in the black community of Mobile can be traced back to 1904 when Elder T. B. Buckner conducted a tent effort in the city. His efforts lasted only a short while before he was called away to Montgomery.
In 1907, the Conference was optimistic enough to take advantage of the largest number of black people event expected in the city to visit the great Negro National Fair. A tent was located on Congress and Scott Streets with meetings conducted by Elder Sidney Scott. Elder & Mrs. J. H. Lawrence later joined him.
By 1910, Elder W. A. Henry was elected to continue the work in Mobile. Souls were added to the church. Membership began to increase, and the need for a church building was planned. Following the counsel of Ellen G. White, a school was started in Mobile, which flourished. By August the enrollment numbered to 120 students. One of the largest in the area.
The church continued to grow in membership, tithes and offerings. The Dearborn Street Seventh-day Adventist Church building was completed in 1951 under the leadership of Elder A. D. Shorter. In 1972, plans for the present building was started by Elder John Wagner, it was completed under the leadership of Elder Benjamin P. Brown and named Emmanuel Seventh-day Adventist Church. We moved into the church on February 5, 1975.
In 1976, the church school was reopened under the leadership of Elder Benjamin Jones. In 1981, under the leadership of Elder Arthur D. Sanders, portable classrooms were purchased to accommodate the increased school enrollment. A Day Care Center was opened in 1992, under the leadership of Elder James R. Bell and the church mortgage was burned.
In 1999, as we approached the new millennium under the leadership of Pastor Tommie L. Blevins, we were about to undergo a major renovation of the building and anticipate an aggressive church growth plan. It is our desire to hasten the soon coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
In 2006, Pastor Michael R. Ross, Sr. enthusiastically voiced the vision for a “World Class School.” A new School Board was organized including representatives from all area churches. His vision is to see a Constituency School developed within two to five years, under the leadership of Mrs. Judy Ross, Principal/Teacher.
Additional links on this topic: